thuneau.com support :: View topic - Internal Routing for Asus Xonar D2- Win7
 Main Page  |  Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Internal Routing for Asus Xonar D2- Win7 
Site Admin

This might work also for other C-Media Oxygen Codec based sound cards.

Recently I had a failure of my little Windows XP Mini-ITX machine that holds the Xonar D2 card I use for my private listening.
The caps in the little power supply exploded and spewed out their guts.
At the same time I was asked about Xonar D2 settings by a few customers.
I replaced the power supply but something went wrong and I ended up with a dead motherboard.

So I placed the Xonar in my Windows 7 tower and installed the latest drivers from Asus. I went to set up the familiar routing and found out that Asus has seriously limited the card in the newer drivers. It's no longer multi client like it was in my almost 3 year old XP setup and native ASIO driver only exposes analog inputs and analog outputs with no access to the Record Mixer in their control app.
ASIO4All driver shows more ins and outs but multi client functionality is not working. If Foobar plays to the card Allocator can't lock on it and vice versa. I tried a bunch of different combination of ins and outs but no luck.
So I went looking for solutions and I found a universal Xonar driver that some enthusiast from Romania wrote and posted on his website.
http://brainbit.wordpress.com/category/uni-xonar/
It replaces the Asus front end with generic C-Media control panel, but more importantly it lets me use Foobar with Allocator (although on only 6 outputs).
It's still not very solid way of working, but it works good enough to set and forget.
Remove your Asus drivers before installing these.
Here are the settings that work for me:

Important:
Allocator has to run first, then Foobar can be started.

You have to use the Kernel Streaming Output in Foobar- regular Direct Sound or Foobar Asio output do not work in this situation.
You might have to do a few restarts for everything to click together, but once it works it seems to be stable.

I tried Jack in Windows 7 but I could not make it go. It seems to be limited to XP for now. The author is talking about version 2 on his web site, hopefully it will be compiled for Windows 7.

Jan

Hi,

I tried without success. I run XP. The UNi Xonar Audio and the settings from ASIO4ALL looks quite different?????

I use Winamp with the Allocator plugin and the ASIO4ALL driver. With the original ASUS ASIO driver I had no success. Since I use the ASIO4ALL it works.

Greatings

Richard

Today I will receive my Asus Xonar D2 and I wonder if there is already a better way to use FA light? Best thing would be if the
settings would apply to ALL system sounds and games and not only to a single Mp3-Player. Smile

I guess this only works with a program like console and you have to root the signals from the input to FAL and then back to the "system"?

Site Admin

The one way to have Allocator on all sounds is to use a dedicated sound card with digital input for Allocator only and the motherboard build in sound card or another PCI or even USB sound card with digital output for playback. Then all your sounds can be processed equally. To accomplish this internally would be difficult because VST plugins- of which Allocator is one- don't normally get along with native Windows sound scheme. VST's are professional processors that require a dedicated host program. Those programs in turn prefer multichannel ASIO drivers.

Your Xonar will be perfectly happy using the SPDIF input coming from your motherboard or another card. It all will be 48kHz sampling rate (or whatever you set if you are using Windows 7) because Windows resamples everything to allow for sounds from various applications and system sounds to coexist on one output. So your CD's will get resampled, but the convenience might just be more important than slight processing.

hello,

yesterday I received the xonar soundcard, but I had strange sounds on the analog outputs, seems to be a problem with the power supply from the computer or the harddrives or EMI.
Thats a problem that almost cant be fixed so I sent it back...

I still have the M-Audio 2496, that also has SPDIF in and OUT. At the moment I would even be happy if it would only work for music Sad

I tried console and routed the signal from wave in to FAL and finally to the wave out. then i could not rout the signals with FAL anymore because it seemed like console uses the asio driver already
and then the outputs dont appear in FAL Sad

Is there a tutorial on how to set FAL up if I only want to use it for listening to music?

btw:

this is what it looks like in FAL for me, it seems like the only way is to use the onboard soundcard and to use its spdif out and plug it into the m-audio right?

Site Admin

The M-Audio has only 2 analog outputs, so you can't really use it for crossover, unless you also also use the SPDIF output and go to an external D/A converter. You would assign the analog out to lows and SPDIF out to highs, then convert the SPDIF to analog.
You can use Allocator with it for music only either freestanding with analog or SPDIF input coming from another source such as CD Player or motherboard audio output, or you can run it inside Foobar or Winamp by using a VST adapter. I offer a Winamp adapter, the VST adapter can be found here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84947
But you really should have a sound card with multiple analog outputs for best results.

Nothing works here Sad

When I want to install the vst plugin in foobar it says:

Could not load VST DLL. The file has no entry procedure and hence doesn't appear to be a VST plug-in. Plug-ins may consist of multiple DLLs. Please try to specify a different one.

C:\Users\Chris\Downloads\foo_vst_0903\foo_vst.dll

In "components" the plugin already appears, but not in vst-plugins..
i also cant select it in the dsp manager...

This is really sad.

ATM I only use a fullrange speaker so I only need two channels Smile

Site Admin

You should copy the foo_vst.dll to C:\Program Files\foobar2000\components folder. Then restart Foobar. You will get an additional entry in Preferences under Components called VST Plugins. In there on the bottom you will add Allocator by pointing to where you have it on your computer. Restart Foobar one more time and now you should have Allocator in your list of available DSP processors under Preferences>Playback>DSP Manager. Just highlight it and click on the left arrow to make it active. Then highlight it again on the left side and click Configure selected. That's it. It should work fine.

hi,

i did everything as you said, but the moment i "add" the foo vst i get this errormessage from foobar:

"Could not load VST DLL. The file has no entry procedure and hence doesn't appear to be a VST plug-in. Plug-ins may consist of multiple DLLs. Please try to specify a different one.

C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components\foo_vst.dll"

I have foobar version 1.1.7 and im running Win7 Prof x64, maybe there is a problem with x64 or so?

the "VAST 2.4 adapter" also appears unter "components", theres just the errormesage when I want to add it
to the VST plug-ins.. Sad

Site Admin

You don't add foo_vst to itself. Once you have VST Plugins entry in Components, that means the foo_vst.dll VST adapter is correctly installed and working.

Then you only add actual VST processors such as Allocator or some fancy VST EQs, etc to the pool of available processors, and then you will see them in the DSP section and will be able to use them.

IT doesnt appear in the dsp section.... Sad

Site Admin

Here is the order of things.
Open Preferences and go to VST plugins:

click on Add. Navigate to your Allocator folder and highlight Alloclite.dll. Click Open.

You will get this screen:

Click OK and restart Foobar.

Go to Preferences, DSP Manager

Highlight Allocator Light and click on the Arrow Left ( <=) to make it active.

While Allocator Light still selected click on Configure Selected.
That's it.